Thursday, December 30, 2010

Strawberry-Almond Cream Tart

This recipe has the craziest back story of the bunch.  During my sophomore year of college, I was making a dessert for Easter at my boyfriend's house.  As I was working on this dessert, I called my mom to share my new recipe with her.  As I start to describe the recipe, my mom asks, "Is this the recipe that was on the cover of Cooking Light?"  To which I say yes...turns out my mom was making the exact same dessert, at the exact same time.  Definitely not a surprise to anyone who knows me and my mom :)
It looks prettier in a round pie dish that the recipe calls for.

Ingredients

Crust  (if you're in a hurry or just lazy, the pre-made graham cracker crusts work just fine)
36 honey graham crackers, about 9 sheets
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
4 teaspoons water
Cooking Spray

Filling 
2/3 cup light cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Topping
6 cups small fresh strawberries, divided (try to get strawberries that are all the same size, or use the really large ones for the sauce)
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons sliced almonds

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 350*
  2. Crust: place crackers in a food processor; process until crumbly.  Add 2 tablespoons sugar, butter, and water; pulse just until moist.  Place mixture in a 9 inch round removable bottom tart pan coated with cooking spray, pressing into bottom and up sides of pan to 3/4 inch.  Bake at 350* for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.  cook completely on a wire rack.
  3. Filling: Combing cream cheese, sugar, and extracts in a medium bowl; stir until smooth.  Spread mixture evenly over bottom of tart shell.
  4. Topping: place 2 cups strawberries in food processor; process until pureed.  Combine with a whisk.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat to low; cook 1 minute. Remove glaze from heat and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
  5. Combine 4 cups strawberries and lemon juice; toss to coat.  Arrange berries, bottoms up, in a circular pattern over filling.  Spoon half of glaze evenly over berries (reserve remaining glaze for another use - like Almond Angle Cake and vanilla ice cream).
  6. Sprinkle sliced almonds around edge.  Cover and chill 3 hours.
**For a festive Red, White, and Blue option, toss blueberries or blackberries in lemon juice and sprinkle over the top of the strawberry sauce**

No comments:

Post a Comment